When Athletes Speak, We React

Ads

Ads

Recent Posts

Like us

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Bush Returns Heisman!

On Tuesday, Reggie Bush of the New Orleans Saints finally decided the time was right to return his Heisman Trophy from his 2005 season at USC.  I say it again.  FINALLY!

Bush came out with the following, well-prepared statement:

"One of the greatest honors of my life was winning the Heisman Trophy in 2005.  For me, it was a dream come true. But I know that the Heisman is not mine alone. Far from it. I know that my victory was made possible by the discipline and hard work of my teammates, the steady guidance of my coaches, the inspiration of the fans, and the unconditional love of my family and friends. And I know that any young man fortunate enough to win the Heisman enters into a family of sorts. Each individual carries the legacy of the award and each one is entrusted with its good name.



It is for these reasons that I have made the difficult decision to forfeit my title as Heisman winner of 2005."
 
Thank you Reggie, for so eloquently forfeiting the trophy you were never eligible to win in the first place!
 
I'm glad Bush gave up his Heisman Trophy.  He didn't deserve it.  He cheated.  He took money, scammed the system, and in my eyes, put serious doubt that any of the major contributors on any worthwhile college football team is legitimately an amateur. 
 
Its a shame a player so talented had to go cheat the rules and accept not only gifts, but also award for his talents even though he was fully aware he broke the rules.
 
Where was the conscience of Reggie Bush?  Where is the discipline at the University, by the coaches, and by the parents of Reggie Bush?
 
Bush giving his trophy back is bigger than just the "first Heisman winner ever to forfeit the trophy".  It puts in doubt the entire system and in my opinion, the first clear sign of the beginning of the fall for college football and its relationship with the NCAA!

Money will change this relationship.  And those with the money, will break away sooner than we all can imagine. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribers