When Athletes Speak, We React

Ads

Ads

Recent Posts

Like us

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Rick Rypien Apologizes for Fighting with Fans

Rick Rypien slugging a helpless Edmonton Oiler player in an
actual on-ice scuffle.
On October 19th against the Minnesota Wild, Vancouver Canucks forward Rick Rypien jumped into the stands after a fan minutes after getting into a legitimate scuffle on the ice with a Wild player. 

Since then, the NHL suspended Rypien for his conduct.  And rightfully so.  Attacking fans is definitely a big time no-no. 

Today, Rypien is apologizing

"I know what I did was wrong," Rypien said.  "It's not my character to do stuff like that.  I don't think I can see myself doing something like that again."

Rypien also vowed that he has a renewed focus and that the experience can make him a better hockey player. 

"It's a real eye-opener for me, so I think I'm going to come back real strong and better than ever," Rypien said. "I think I'm going to be more focused and more determined to play the game that I love the most."

Good, it better have opened your eyes, because this time you got off easy. 

Wasn't it Ron Artest in the NBA who was suspended for an entire season (73 games and playoffs) in 2004 for going into the stands after a fan provoked incident led to him throwing haymakers?

Rypien should realize how lucky he is.  6 games is barely a slap on the wrist. Sure, the fan didn't end up in the hospital, but the intent was there.

Rypien is a clown.  Period.  The NHL should be ashamed of themselves for giving him just 6 games.


Related articles

No comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribers