When Athletes Speak, We React

Ads

Ads

Recent Posts

Like us

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

Saturday, September 11, 2010

NFL Picks, Week 1

The start of the new NFL season means an opportunity to try and pick some football games once again.  Last year I got my feet wet a little bit and did a decent job.  This year, with a little experience under my belt, I'm hoping to improve a little.

This year there is plenty to get excited about in NFL football.  The Baltimore Ravens and New York Jets seem to be every body's favorites to win the Super Bowl.  Other teams such as the Detroit Lions, Tampa Bay Bucs, and St. Louis Rams are looking to improve dramatically and improve on terrible seasons in 2009. 

Enough of the NFL preview.  Lets pick some games. 

I'm using the NFL odds available over at Bodog.com as of Saturday at 10 am Central Time in case you want to check them out for yourself. 

Detroit Lions (+6.5) vs Chicago Bears

The Bears and their head coach Lovie Smith are in big time trouble.  Not only does Lovie need to make the playoffs in order to keep his job, but if the Bears don't beat the Lions this week, the entire city might mutiny on Soldier Field. 

Expectations are high for Jay Cutler and his new offensive coordinator Mike Martz.  But where is he going to throw the ball?  Matt Forte is legit and should bounce back nicely, but will Devin Hester really materialize into a top wide receiver? 

For Detroit, Matt Stafford showed improvement throughout last season and should continue to do so, especially since he has 'MegaTron' Calving Johnson on his side.  On defense, the Lions now feature Mr. Suh.  That's enough for me to take the Lions and the points on the road.  Chicago 24 Detroit 23

Atlanta Falcons vs Pittsburgh Steelers (+2)

The Steelers are getting 2 points at home.  I'm going to take the Steelers.  Head coach Mike Tomlin is among the best in the business in my opinion and will be for a long time to come.

And I don't care that the Steelers don't have Ben Roethlisberger.  Dennis Dixon has shown enough to convince me that he will compete and make plays.  Besides, they are going to just pound the ball with Rashard Mendenhall the entire game.

Tough break for the Falcons.  I think they'll make the playoffs in the NFC, but a tough assignment in the first game against the Steelers in what really is must win for the Steel-City in the best division in football.  Pittsburgh 21 Atlanta 17

San Francisco 49ers vs Seattle Seahawks (+3)

This feels like a gift.  I personally don't think Pete Carroll will make it longer than 2 seasons.  He doesn't have an advantage in the NFL.  I'm not sure anybody has told Pete that all of the players in the NFL get paid. 

While Seattle is not any good, the 49ers are the cream of the crop and among my favorites to make it to the Super Bowl out of the NFC.

Hopefully you picked up Alex Smith as your back-up QB on your Fantasy Football team, as the relationship he and tight end Vernon Davis have developed will be strong.  Look for Davis to be among the league leaders in TD receptions.  I think he catches two of them against the 'Hawks.  I'm taking the 49ers and I don't think it will be close.  San Francisco 38 Seattle 17


San Diego Chargers vs Kansas City Chiefs (+5)

Everything in San Diego is different.  The running back is different.  The wide receiver is different too.  I think the outcome at the end of the season will be different too. 


Have you ever been to Arrowhead Stadium for a NFL opener?  Have you ever been to Arrowhead Stadium for a Monday night football game?  Two words: CR-AZY!

The Chiefs will be looking to improve on a couple of miserable seasons and they should improve with the help of now second year QB Matt Cassel and stud running back Jamal Charles.


Yeah, Philip Rivers is among my favorite players in the NFL, but I don't think he has enough around him to go into KC and get a victory this time.  I'll take the points, but I also think the Chiefs win the game.  Kansas City 27 San Diego 21

Well, there are my picks.  I'm only going to pick 4 games and then highlight the Monday night game in a separate post.  So, tune in tomorrow to see what I have to say about the Ravens vs Jets.  Should be interesting. 


Also, please don't actually gamble real money based off anything I say here.  I'm not, so why should you?

1 comment:

  1. So far, as of 4 pm CT, themanspeak.com is 2-0. Lions shouldn've won that game. Megatron got robbed by that call.

    ReplyDelete

Subscribers